Sunday, October 14, 2012

Caramel Apple Cider Cookies...My oh my

I have been staring at this pin on Pinterest for, well, ever, but never got around to make it until yesterday. I mean I love caramel and apples and cookies so this seemed like a no-brainer.

Now yesterday seemed like the first real day of fall with the chill and it was homecoming in my hometown so I thought it was as good a day as any for cookies. This recipe came from Scrambled Henfruit. Here's what you need.

Prep work time! I needed a slightly bigger bowl....C'est la vie. And can I just say that unwrapping caramels is a pain in the ass!!


Hello dough. ha

I was supposed to put the dough in the fridge for an hour, but I am impatient. I probably should have listened, however, since this stuff was super sticky and was all over my hands.

Now you see the caramel. Now you don't!


 Pre- and post-oven cookies


 And here's the finished product! Super yummy!


Couple recommendations though. Make sure you let the cookies cool before you take them off the parchment paper so that the caramel doesn't ooze out the bottom. Also if you don't eat the cookies soon after they come out of the oven, reheat them a little in the microwave so that the caramel is oozy again.

Enjoy!!

Caramel Apple Cider Cookies
Source: The Cooking Photographer via Scrambled Henfruit
Makes 3-4 dozen cookies (mine made 3)

2 sticks of butter, softened
1 cup sugar*
1/2 tsp salt
1 box Alpine Spiced Apple Cider Instant Drink Mix (all 10 packets)*
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp cinnamon
3 cups flour
1 (14 oz.) bag caramels


*I could only find Sugar-Free so I added an extra 1/2 cup of sugar (1 1/2 total), just because. 

Preheat the oven 350° F. Line the cookie sheets with parchment paper otherwise you'll have a sticky mess! Set the cookie sheets aside.

Combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon) in a separate bowl.

In your mixer, add the butter, sugar, and apple cider mix and beat it until it's fluffy and smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined. Next add the flour mixture slowly into the mixer until just combined.

If you have time, refrigerate the dough for an hour. It will help to make the dough easier to deal with. If not, full speed ahead! But you have been warned...

Unwrap all the caramels. Scoop out about a tablespoon of dough. Flatten the dough out in your hand, place a caramel in the middle, and wrap the dough around the caramel. Make sure the caramel is completely covered. Then place the cookie on the parchment lined cookie sheet 2 inches apart.

Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes (mine took more towards the 14) or until very lightly browned around the edges.

After the cookies are done, lift the parchment paper off the baking sheet and allow it to cool on the counter. DON'T TOUCH THEM until they are cooled a bit. Then twist the cookies off and store in an air-tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment