Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Potato Leek Soup!!

For today I am not doing a Pinterest recipe. I know, crazy right? Instead this is a recipe that comes straight from The Book and surprisingly I've never made it until today. That seems so, so wrong. C'est la vie.

I have now learned the error of my ways....

True, this recipe was done more out of necessity than anything else, but whatever. My mom intended to make the soup but then didn't have time to make it before she left for a vacation. This meant the leeks were getting to that point. You know what point I'm talking about...

Anyway, the soup is amazing and it was my responsibility to make it. So here we go!

Since the recipe is just written in The Book, I don't know where it came from initially.

Here's what you need:

Ingredients

2 smaller leeks or 1 larger leek
twine
coffee filter (optional)
2 bay leaves
20 black peppercorns
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 tbsp butter
2 strips of bacon, chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
5 cups chicken broth
1-1 1/4 lbs russet potatoes, diced
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
1/2-3/4 cup heavy cream

The first step is to make a thingy (I'm so eloquent) that ties up the bay leaves, peppercorns, and thyme. The recipe recommended to tie it all up in a leek leaves. I am not NEARLY that coordinated so I used a coffee filter because my klutziness can handle that.


 Then put that little puppy aside. You'll use him later.

I like to chop up everything first because I am just not coordinated to do it when it's necessary. So here comes the leeks. You'll want to cut off the white-er parts, cut them in half length wise, and then rinse them. You'd be shocked at how much dirt is in there! Once it's washed, cut it across

Next peel and chop up the potatoes. Actually I have no idea if you're supposed to peel them, but I did it anyway. Then chop up the bacon. I used 3 slices because I really like bacon.

Once everything is chopped up, you're good to go. Put the butter in a large soup pot over medium heat and add the bacon once the butter is melted. Cook for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally until the bacon is soft. Yum!!!


Next add the leeks and cook about 5 minutes until they are wilted. It's starting to look pretty. 
Next add the wine and bring it to a boil. You'll see from the first picture I used frozen wine. Did you know you can save your wine by putting it in the freezer?? Food for thought...Moving on...Once it boils, add the coffee filter thingy, the chicken broth, potatoes, salt, and pepper. Bring that to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.

Once it's cooked, take out the coffee filter thingy and use an immersion blender or a food processor (I vote immersion blender). Just be sure not to use the blender to much. It's still good, but there is something about it being a smidge thicker. Here is the before, during, and after:

 Then add the heavy cream and voila! You're done!


Bon Appetite! Now go make this. I mean it. Do it now! You'll thank me later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment