Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Grilled cheese, how I love thee...

There are few things that I enjoy more than a well made grilled cheese. I mean, really, how can you go wrong with melty cheese and bread and butter?

For the first recipe in this new adventure, I decided to go back to a sandwich I found on Pinterest and have tried before courtesy of A Turtle's Life For Me. It's an updated take on grilled cheese. This one involves mozzarella, avocado, and pepperoni.

Did I mention yet that I also LOVE avocado?!? yeah...that's up there on my list as well.

So here are the supplies for 1 sandwich:

2 slices of whole grain bread
Tablespoon of butter
2 slices of sandwich pepperoni
Half an avocado, sliced
Thin slices of mozzarella to your hearts content


Place a bit of the butter on one slice of bread and place it on the griddle over medium low heat. Place the mozzarella, pepperoni, and avocado on the bread. I like to put the cheese first, then pepperoni, more cheese, then avocado, then, you guessed it, more cheese because it helps everything stick together. I also recommend putting the avocado in the middle of the bread so that the pieces don't fall out during flipping. Next put some more butter on the other slice of bread and place it on top of the sandwich. 

Now is when you need to be patient grasshoppers. If you put the heat up too fast, it'll cook/burn the bread, but won't melt the cheese enough. I like to lower the heat to low and put a lid over the sandwich to help the cheese melt. Cook it a little and then flip the sandwich. Keep cooking and flipping until the bread is cooked to your liking and the cheese is nice and gooey.

How good does this look??

The only thing that would make it better is bacon...yum...bacon...

No comments:

Post a Comment