Monday, July 1, 2013

Green Onion Slaw



So I don't know about you, but I am usually not a slaw fan. The only kind of coleslaw I ever liked before was the one made by my grandmother. To me it always tastes too mayonnaise-y or thick and just unenjoyable! You can imagine, then, that I was a bit hesitant when the Smitten Kitchen recipe recommended it to add to the Southwestern Pulled Brisket Tacos I made in a previous post. Clearly I trust Smitten Kitchen because I forged ahead despite my reservations!! 

Here's what you'll need:

The original recipe called for red cabbage, which I'm sure would have looked pretty, but we had regular cabbage in the house so I used that because I was lazy. In addition I only used half a head of cabbage because that's what we had and, yet again, I was lazy. Seems to be a reoccurring theme...anywho half a head was more than enough for my purposes since it was just being put on tacos as opposed to used as an actual side. Plus it seemed to expand exponentially in size as I cut it! I decided not to half the rest of the recipe because I like things to be saucy usually. It worked for me!

The recipe itself was pretty easy. First you need to thinly slice the cabbage then set it aside. The initial recipe said to shred it, but again I was lazy. Then thinly slice the red onion and add to the cabbage. Next combine the remaining ingredients except the cilantro in a food processor and mix the heck out of it! Keep going until it's smooth. Combine it all together and add the cilantro. Voila! Slaw! And I have to say I quite liked this version! It tasted awesome on the tacos! 

Smitten Kitchen did have a good recommendation about the slaw though. They recommended to not combine the cabbage/red onions with the dressing until right before you were using it. It's easy enough to make it two containers while the brisket is cooking so I followed their advice.

Enjoy! 

Green Onion Slaw
Source: Adapted from Bobby Flay via Smitten Kitchen


1/2 head cabbage, thinly sliced
1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced

1 cup green onions, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 serrano chiles
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1/2 cup olive oil

Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup chopped cilantro 
  

1.  Combine cabbage and red onions in a bowl and set aside.
2. Blend green onions, vinegar, chiles, mayo, salt, pepper and olive oil in a food processor until well blended. 
3. When prepared to serve, add dressing mixture to the cabbage and red onions. 
4. Fold in cilantro.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Put on top of a Southwestern Pulled Brisket Taco.

No comments:

Post a Comment