Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Suncatchers!


For my first kids arts and crafts project, I HAD to go with these suncatchers! Since I started nannying I have done these nearly every month with a theme that goes with the month (February was hearts, March was shamrocks, etc). The best part about this craft is you can do it in any shape you want and it looks awesome! Plus the kids love doing this project.

I saw this idea originally on Pinterest from a great blog called No Time For Flash Cards. I knew I had to do it as soon as I saw it.

Here's what you'll need:

Supplies
Contact paper
Construction paper
Scissors
Streamers or tissue paper

I went with a Fourth of July theme so we used red, white, and blue party streamers. You could also use tissue paper, but this worked just as well and I got them in two packs at the dollar store. Whoo hoo! I have also used the plastic stuff that goes in Easter baskets. Actually you can use pretty much anything that you can sort of see through.

The first step is to cut out the design you want to use. I used regular construction paper and cut out the largest star I could. Then you'll want to cut out a smaller version of the same design from the inside leaving a thin outline of your design. No Time For Flash Cards used a bigger "frame", if you will, but I liked having more of the middle open for sticking. Just a personal preference.


Next you'll want to cut off enough contact paper that the whole open area is covered. Peel the paper off the back and stick the open design onto the contact paper. Then cut around the outside to remove the excess contact paper. 

Then you'll want to get the streamers ripped up in to little pieces. I tried to get the kids to do this the first time, but they weren't so into it. However, if you're kids like to rip stuff up, let them rip away! You don't need a whole lot, which is why I love the streamers because you could do this activity over and over and never run out! Put the ripped up pieces into a bowl or on a plate.  


 Now comes the fun part. Put the star (or whatever design you have chosen) down with the sticky side up and have the kids put the ripped up pieces onto the contact paper.

 And one of the best parts is that once it's all done, you can just stick it onto a window! Well, that is as long as there is still space where the contact paper is not used. I've left them up for nearly two months and they peal right off when you want to put up a new one without any problem or residue (that I could see). Doesn't it look pretty?? And when the sun shines through the window it looks very cool.


And here are a couple we did previously in case you are looking for inspiration for shapes. The butterfly one used the Easter grass I mentioned previously.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment